Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day in Heaven


While I miss Dad this Father's Day, he is in Heaven visiting with other family and friends that are there with him, and enjoying things that I cannot even comprehend. While I cry, because for a split second, a gift came to mind for him... then I remembered that he is gone, he is enjoying the gift that is above all gifts. While we worship in the best way that we know how, and we think that Dad would have enjoyed hearing us sing that hymn, Dad is worshipping at the very feet of Jesus, and hearing music more beautiful than we can fathom. How could any Father's Day here on earth ever compare?

These thoughts bring some comfort, and yet the tears keep falling. I realized a long time ago that Dad was my biggest fan, and I sure could have used some of his encouragement today!

On Saturday, I drove down to New Hampshire to get Mikayla from Bible Camp. When I first arrived, she was nowhere to be seen, so I ended up wandering around for a bit. A man stopped and asked if he could help me. I told him that I was looking for my daughter, Mikayla Upcott. The man said, "Oh, Pastor Campbell's granddaughter, right?" I have ceased being surprised when I am miles away from home and someone knows Dad, but all I could do was nod. He told me what church he went to and how he knew Dad, but I was so busy swallowing the lump in my throat and hoping he didn't ask how he was, that I don't remember what he said. I still don't know why it was suddenly such an emotional thing this time because I have talked to many people who knew Dad since he went Home without any difficulty, but this time it was. On the way home, Mikayla shared with me that she had met people that knew Grandpa. One of the girl's mothers had worked with Uncle Chris at Camp Northfield. During the sermon on Sunday, my eyes wandered to a nearby passage.Proverbs 20: 7 "The just man walketh in his integrity; his children are blessed after him." How fitting for my experience and thoughts on Father's Day! Although, I realize that my thoughts typed out here are a bit rambling...oh, well, it's my blog, so I can ramble all I want!

I miss you, Dad, more than I ever thought possible! Happy Father's Day in Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment