Thursday, April 8, 2010

Remembering Dad

My wedding
Reading to his "Little Doll".
A quick hug from "Thano"
Being silly with Lanie at her third birthday.

Holding Mikayla about three days old at our home in Maryland.

I remember how he would always try to say a word of encouragement to Terry and I about our efforts in our ministry. He seemed to be endlessly optimistic about the ministry even when we were ready to throw up our hands in defeat. A quick compliment. A promise to pray about it. A story. A smidgen of advice.
An arm around a grandchild along with a small compliment, or encouragement. A special nickname for each of them.
I remember a quivering chin when talking about a mentally disabled person pointing out John 3:16 in his worn out Bible.
I remember that his suit jacket always smelled like cigarette or cigar smoke because he sat in the local coffee shop with a bunch of fellas. I remember the waitress calling him "Reverend Deyah" as she refreshed his coffee again. If I got to tag along, I got to have a hot cocoa and a chocolate, sugared doughnut.
I remember that I couldn't get away from his influence. Even out of state trips brought us to someone who knew him and had a story to tell about him. It seemed that Dad knew everyone and could carry on a conversation with anyone. When I was a young person, it was exasperating. Not now. Now I hope it never ends.
He wasn't perfect, but we loved him. He didn't always do everything right, but God used him.
Today, it has been a year since I laid my head on Dad's chest as I cried and said goodbye. So, rather than going on and on about my memories, I would love to hear some of yours. No matter how small.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing, Jen.

    A tidbit: I remember lots of little things from my early childhood at BB, but in my teen years after attending Maranatha for a while, he let me come back and present an "M" trip even though I was going with a non-baptist org. At the time that was a non trivial thing--on my side AND on his!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing Meg and Kim!

    ReplyDelete