Saturday, September 17, 2011

Blogworthy Post in It's Own Right.


This is the post about our journey into the world of boarding school that I said before was worthy of its own post. Last year at this time we were plunging into the unknown, enrolling our eldest into Dublin Christian Academy. I could never have imagined that I would ever want this for one of my kids, nor could I have ever imagined that we could afford it. Well, we couldn't afford it. It's just that the Lord had other plans, and he made it happen. As simple as that. I always pictured our family as a close-knit home school family until graduation. God has a way of  changing minds and hearts and doing things His way.  If you were to ask Mikayla what she thought, she would probably say with all confidence that this was where God wanted her to go. I have never seen a kid throw themselves into school like she has done, scoring a 3.7 GPA while juggling sports, the role of Anne in the play "The Diary of Anne Frank", weekends on a traveling musical and drama ministry team, a chorale tour, state, regional, and then national fine arts competitions, banquets, and just general dormitory living. She has so fully embraced this school and all of its unique culture, that I can only stand by and watch in awe. And so, what was the decision for this year? In Mikayla's mind there was absolutely no question. As a matter of fact, I believe there was some frustration on her part that we would even question if sending her back was the right way to go. But her Mom is just the type that wants only the absolute best for her kids. Nothing else will do, see. So, we prayed about things. I really had a hard time thinking about the expense when she could have taken the credits that she needed at home and worked part time to save for college. But, again, God has things planned out. He worked things out for her to go, and that is that. I can only shrug my shoulders and stand back and watch. He is the one that is so obviously in control here, and although I miss her like crazy, and would kill to have that school about 300 miles closer, I am content as I watch her thrive, absorb, grow, and mature at lightening speed. Is it this way for other Mom's of teens? Do they want to have a pause button installed in their teenagers backs? I have heard it said that we as parents must work ourselves out of a job. I just expected it to take 18 years. But, why am I surprised? Mikayla has wanted to go to college since she was like 6. haha. So, there you have it. God has a plan for our sweet daughter. We just have to learn relaxation techniques. "A man's heart deviseth his way, but the Lord directeth his steps." "He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good, and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he." and lastly, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." May we as parents rest in that promise of scripture. He has a plan for our children, too, as adopted children of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment