Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Trouble with Multiplication

Recently, Alana's multiplication problems have been getting harder and longer. She seems to get lost somewhere in the middle and forget to multiply by some of the digits.  The understanding is there, though. So, taking my knowledge about dyslexic learners and my research involving the Orton Gillingham methods, this is what I came up with.
A hands on multiplication center.
 Taking some old number cards that I still had laying around and then adding some more made of 4/6 cards cut in half, I set up a problem. Alana uses the cards to solve the problem, renaming etc. as she goes. I also cut some strips of black construction paper and some smaller pieces for her to use to make her symbols and lines.
 Once she is finished multiplying in the ones place, she turns over that card and follows the same procedure once she is done with the tens place, and the hundreds place.

 This seems to help her focus on where she is within the problem and what she needs to do next.
The final addition line may not be added until the number of digits being multiplied matches the number of rows to be added. After several problems this way, I switched to doing a few problems on graph paper and WAALAA, she is now able to get her multiplication problems correct. This method apparently worked to help her process the whole thing. Interesting the way different kid's brains work, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. I read this thinking, long multiplication is such a long way out for us, but you never know what concepts and methods can be used in a different subject sooner, etc . . . so anyhow, I was taking mental notes. When I got to the end, I thought, "graph paper--smart. huh. but i guess i'm gonna have to ask jen what this WAALAA thing is . . ."

    Oh.

    Now I get it.

    Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Graph paper not only keeps it neat, but helps her visualize it in the same way. Each number in a box, etc.
      Waalaa, tada, yipee! Lol.

      Delete