Monday, October 13, 2008

She Did It!





Drum roll, please! Alana has learned to ride her bike! Yippee! I was worried that she would never reach this childhood milestone. She would never get on it even when we had training wheels on it. When I made her try, she just cried and seemed paralyzed by fear of falling. Since all her friends, and many much younger friends, are riding, she was really feeling bad about not being able to. I bought a handle for the back of her bike that claimed to help a child ride within 15 minutes. Although, I scoffed at the idea of any child learning in 15 minutes, let alone a child that was freaked out as much as Alana. I worked very hard with her on Friday, and refused to let her quit or whine. (Mean Mama!) On Saturday, I determined to take her out and work some more. We went to an empty, level parking lot, and I got all ready to use the handle. I started her off, but she took off alone and screamed, "Hey, I'm doing it!" I ran beside her for fear that she would go right out into the road because she hadn't figured out the brake yet. But she was able to steer like a pro. Later, we went up to the High School's track where she rode around and around until she was exhausted. So, the handle was a great purchase although I'm not sure that it took as little as 15 minutes. I guess if you subtract the hour that it took to convince her that she wasn't going to fall, and the next half hour of "You ARE going to give this a try", then just count the next half hour of actually work, well, you get the picture. Anyway , we are so proud of you, Lanie! WOOHOO!
There's a video of her riding along the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment